Position: Communications Director
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Remote in California
Status: Full-Time with Benefits
Are you a passionate, accomplished, and innovative communications expert wanting to make a difference on climate change? We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic, and experienced communications professional to help us achieve our bold Climate-Safe California vision. Working across the state, we are growing our organization and collaborations to accelerate equitable climate action based on the latest science.
About The Climate Center
The Climate Center, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, works to deliver speed and scale greenhouse gas reductions, starting in California. Founded in 2001, The Climate Center played a key role in the tremendous growth of Community Choice Agencies (CCAs). CCAs grew from two to 20 over the past six years and now provide 88% clean electricity to over 11 million Californians.
The Climate Center has launched a bold, science-based campaign, Climate-Safe California, to accelerate equitable climate policy timelines in California, catalyzing other states, our nation, and countries around the world to greater action for a climate-safe future.
Our goal is that California, the world’s fifth-largest economy, doubles emissions cuts and starts drawdown for net-negative emissions (sequestration greater than emissions) by 2030. Climate-Safe California policies and programs, guided by these key principles, must: (1) be based on the latest science, (2) ensure a just transition for workers, their families, and their communities, that are dependent on fossil fuel industries, and, (3), ensure that lower-income communities and communities of color are no longer disproportionately harmed by the production and use of fossil fuels, and have equitable access to climate-friendly solutions.
The Communications Director will play a key leadership role in realizing these urgent goals.
In this newly created position, reporting to the CEO and working collaboratively with a dynamic and growing staff team, the Communications Director plays a critical role in the delivery of our powerful Climate-Safe California goals.
As the organization’s lead communications staff person, the Communications Director is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive communications strategy, reflecting The Climate Center’s unique brand value in alignment with our vision, mission, and values. The Communications Director coordinates The Climate Center’s external communications working in partnership with the Director of Philanthropy, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Strategist, Communications Manager, and others.
The Communications Director must have the demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic communications strategy to drive long-term goals with short-term execution based on the daily news cycle; have direct social and traditional media experience with a proven track record of building on a strong personal social media network and of securing thought-leadership coverage in national and California general and business media; have the ability to manage and inspire a small team of communications, marketing, design, and website professionals; and, have excellent writing and presentation skills with the ability to direct and assist in the creation of digital, video, audio, and print content.
- Develop and execute a communications strategy with regular reporting to assess progress toward outcomes across various audiences in collaboration with staff, board, and partners
- Develop and oversee policy advocacy campaigns, spanning a range of paid and earned traditional media, digital channels, and online activism strategies for communicating with key audiences, including business members, individual and institutional funders, and partners
- Ensure that The Climate Center’s brand value and position are clear, compelling, and consistent across various platforms
- Serve as The Climate Center’s chief editor and storyteller, leading the creation of compelling content for emails, websites, social media, fundraising, opinion editorials, and marketing materials, working with policy and development staff to determine what content to disseminate, to whom, how, and when
- Develop and maintain relationships with key traditional and non-traditional journalists, bloggers, and other media influencers, covering issues relevant to The Climate Center’s strategic priorities
- Manage The Climate Center's website and social media, leveraging these platforms for fundraising, campaigns, and ongoing community/movement-building efforts
- Support the CEO and other team members in preparing for public speaking engagements and media interviews, co-developing talking points and presentation materials as needed
- Use data and testing to increase the efficacy of communications
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including e-newsletters, fund appeals, and website
- Coordinate website maintenance, keeping it fresh and ensuring that new, relevant information is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement with the website and other electronic media
- Develop and/or maintain organizational systems and practices that support strong communications including a style guide
- Manage the Communications team (now two part-time staff)
Skills and Experience Required
- At least seven years of experience interpreting complex information for distinct audiences, from major donors to state elected officials, and across multiple formats including technical papers, highly accessible print articles, social media including e-blasts, web pages, donor appeals and invitations, and foundation grants.
- Ability to develop and execute a strategic communications strategy based on long-term goals and short-term execution of strategy and tactics based on the daily news cycle
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills with the ability to direct and assist in the creation of digital, video, audio, and print content
- Proven track record of translating complex concepts into motivational stories
- Social media savvy with a deep understanding of how to integrate into comprehensive communications and movement building strategies
- Expertise in branding, messaging and a variety of communications tactics with a background in journalism, public relations, and/or communications for similar effort preferred
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and initiate efforts in our start-up-style work environment
- Outstanding project management abilities to ensure that programs advance on time and on budget
- Excellent relationship-building skills with a wide range of external constituencies, from public agencies and government regulators to business, labor unions, and donors
- Commitment to the highest levels of integrity, quality, and collaboration
- Highly collaborative work style with the ability to operate as a thought partner to the CEO and other organizational leaders, and to work with a variety of constituent groups, including staff, board members, donors, partner organizations, volunteers, and other supporters
- Proven ability to help set strategic communications objectives, develop measures of success, create communications materials that support those objectives, and report on and learn from outcomes
- Experience in managing staff and consultants, team building, and contributing to the development of a positive organizational culture
- The ideal candidate will have an established network that includes top California journalists, media influencers, policymakers, philanthropists, business leaders, and/or organized labor representatives
- Emotionally intelligent with demonstrated maturity and leadership qualities
- Self-starter, team player, independent, and entrepreneurial; enjoys co-creating and implementing new initiatives and following through to realize measurable outcomes
- Passion for addressing the climate crisis with some knowledge of climate change issues, from clean energy to regenerative agriculture preferred
- Brings humility and a sense of humor to work!
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Climate Center also offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Generous medical, dental, and vision plans
- 401(k) plan with opportunity for an organizational match
At The Climate Center, we work in a dynamic and supportive team atmosphere, we care about each other and we know that each employee has a whole life that includes time outside of work. The Climate Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We value diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, even if you do not meet all of the preferred qualifications.
Please apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and one short writing sample with your application. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit materials by January 8, 2020. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.